Friday 6 June 2014

Dubbed the World Ugliest Woman, Lizzie Velasquez Wants to Help You Beat the Bullies

Heartlessly, she was dubbed ‘the world’s ugliest woman’ but now, Lizzie Velasquez has beaten the bullies and turned her life around by standing up to the cruel taunts.

Lizzie, 24, from Austin, Texas, was born without adipose tissue – meaning she has no body fat and despite eating up to 60 small meals a day, remains at a delicate 4 stone.

Lizzie, who has written 3 self-help books, did a hugely successful TED talk, works as a motivational speaker and has a huge following on Facebook.

Now, she’s trying to raise money to do a documentary about bullying and how to overcome the negativity that comes with it, she’s launched her campaign to fund the Lizzie Project on Kickstarter and has already exceeded her $180,000 goal.

When asked how she deals with constantly being stared at in the street, she says: ‘I’m starting to want to go up to these people and introduce myself and give them my card and say “Hi, I’m Lizzie – maybe you should stop staring and start learning”.’

She adds: ‘I feel I’m really glad I don’t look like the celebrities out there who are beautiful, because there are a lot of stereotypes attached to that.

‘People think “she’s pretty, she must be really dumb”. Since I don’t look like that, it’s better because people can get to know the real me.’

No comments:

Post a Comment